traditional - gouache on canvas - 8" x 8" - value study
There is nothing like a little John Coltrane to celebrate 34 years on this earth.
The jazz recordings of the mid 50's to early 60's are my favorite. It's funny how a simple ballad can transport me to another world, hypnotizing me to a state of utter bliss.
While most of my peers love the modern music coming from their satellite transmitters and cell phones, I feel like a relic who would rather dust off a classic LP and absorb the crackling of the needle into vinyl grooves.
My birthday playlist:
- In A Sentimental Mood / Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
- My Little Brown Book / Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
- The Feeling Of Jazz / Duke Ellington & John Coltrane
- Blues To Bechet / Coltrane Plays The Blues
- Nancy (With The Laughing Face) / The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
- Mr. Syms / Coltrane Plays The Blues
- My Favorite Things / My Favorite Things
- Everytime We Say Goodbye / My Favorite Things
- Blue in Green / Kind of Blue
- My One And Only Love / The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
- When I Fall In Love / Steamin' With The Miles Davis Quintet
- Blue Train / Blue Train
- I'm Old Fashioned / Blue Train
- Soul Eyes / The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
- Lush Life / he Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
- Dear Lord / The Gentle Side Of John Coltrane
- Take Five / Cool: Dave Brubeck
- Flamenco Sketches / Kind of Blue
I encourage you to come along with me and dive into these recordings. You will not regret it.